The question that I'm being asked repeatedly is "How are you settling in?" or some variation of it. In some ways, it's replaced "How are you doing?" I get tired of answering it, but at least it shows that people are interested and concerned about the transition because it's a big one. Additonally, it's hard to hit "play" on the standard message playback as with the latter question.
I still have the tendency to call other professors "Dr." instead of by their first names. Old habits die hard, but it's really hard to break the mindset of a student after 10 years of study at the university level.
To answer the question from the earlier in the post, I think I'm settling in quite nicely. Yes, I'm still learning my way around the biggest town I've ever lived in. Yes, I'm still learning to not honk at other cars in the afternoon commute (and other forms of road rage). Yes, I'm still adjusting to the big city (something I will never completely adjust to though). Yes, I haven't found a strong friendship network outside of work.
For all those "negatives", I'm not sure I could have been led to a better job/fit. Yes, it's difficult to settle in when you've been there for barely a 6 weeks and decide to flee from a natural disaster that weighs on your mind for 3 days as opposed to 30 minutes with a tornado (yes, I do miss tornado alley). Yes, it's difficult to keep working when campus is shut down for all week (especially given the aforementioned transition from grad student to professor). But, I LOVE my job.
It combines my love of agriculture, specifically the livestock sector, with the economics I've been trained in without all the heavy theory which puts me to sleep. I'm not exactly sure what an Extension program should be or look like given the state's unique production aspects, but the livestock sectors have plenty for me to do already. I have plenty of models to use/adapt with plenty of support to make it happen. What more could you want?
As of now, I still don't know what damage awaits me at the rent house. I know heavy damage did occur in Baton Rouge, but I may have escaped with minor damage. I'll know more tomorrow after another prof checks out the house and gives me a call. Regardless, I've been told the campus is a wreck, and the pictures from the local paper document this. Though, the national media won't let you know that this was probably the worst storm for Baton Rouge since Betsy in the '60s.
Random thoughts:
- The name of the blog refers to the fact I'll always be a Topper first and foremost. No matter where God leads me, some part of me will always feel misplaced from my home in western Kentucky. For all the Okies out there, I couldn't figure out a way to get 'Topper' and 'Cowboy' in the title.
- I've got to get another dog.
- If the issue regarding Sarah Palin's daughter (Bristol) really is an issue, how come we didn't have a national dialogue/debate/media overkill regarding legalization of drugs following the arrest of Al Gore III for possession of marijuana and prescription drugs (thought originally on Glenn Beck program originating September 2nd on Headline News)?
- It's good to have football (of all types) back on the airwaves starting a few weekends ago with European soccer/football, college football this past weekend, pro football Thursday, and World Cup qualifiers this coming Saturday. Though I would much rather prefer to watch meaningful college games (i.e. no more I-AA teams versus I-A teams). It's hard to find the motivation to watch a game like Ohio State/LSU versus Youngstown St/Appalachian St.
- Interested to see how the Cubans treat the U.S. Men's National Team in Havana on Saturday night given the political tensions between the two countries. I doubt any Americans will defect to Cuba, but it will be interesting to see in the match played in the States in October if anyone defects as typically the case with Cuban athletes on American soil. The only downside is that the game's on ESPN Classic and I don't have that channel while I'm visiting Alabama.
- North Alabama is beautiful this time of year and the weather ain't too shabby either.
- Come to think of it, NASCAR visits Richmond at the same time as the U.S. game against Cuba. Crap...National loyalties or southern tradition?
2 comments:
Well, Ross...I'll be your first comment on your first post! :)
I'm glad to hear about your life and how things are going with you.
I'm happy that you love your new job and I hope that you will soon find some great friends.
Go TOPS!!!!. I know what you mean about always being a Hilltopper. I really miss being in the Kentucky/Tennesse area as well. I hope that you can keep up writing here. I am interested in hearing more about what you are doing. Take care and I miss you ex-roomie.
michael
Post a Comment