Friday, September 12, 2008

My Gustav Vacation

While I was hiding from Gustav in Cullman, Alabama, I took the following pictures. Hope you enjoy them.

This first set is from the property my aunt and uncle own in Winston County. Winston County was home to a community of Quakers during the Civil War who seceded from the CSA to form the "Free State of Winston" as they didn't support slavery.




Note the flip flops worn by my brother.

The second set is from the only covered bridge left in Cullman County and spans Crooked Creek. I believe it was initially built in 1904, but was washed away in the early 20s. The current bridge shown was constructed a year after the washout. This part of the creek also was the site of the skirmish at Crooked Creek in April/May 1863. Just a stone's throw from here was where the Battle of Hog Mountain occurred as part of General Abel Streight's raid. General Nathaniel Bedford Forrest would eventually accept General Streight's surrender as the raid proved unsuccessful. The last picture is of the modern bridge, but the whole area just has a nice, peaceful small town feel.



No comments: