Friday, January 30, 2009

Ice is so Not Cool

I'm sure anyone out that's reading this is aware of the recent ice storm that blew through Kentucky. My hometown of Madisonville was in the midst of the devastation. My parents are currently without power and have been since Tuesday morning. I'd post pictures but don't have any to show. ABC News was in Mad'ville on Thursday doing a report and may have pictures/video there to see the destruction. The pictures I've seen posted on Facebook posted by friends have been beautiful but portray quite the devastated area. My parents' house didn't have any trees land on it thankfully.

I've heard anywhere from two weeks to a month in some parts of the county before power is restored. At least one of my high school friends is reporting it could be mid-March before power is restored for his house. Please remember this area right now as coverage in the national media is minimal and the government's attention is focused elsewhere. There's not a whole lot that can be done as the weather right is prohibiting a lot of progress made. Water availability is also becoming an issue. As far as I know the death toll is nil in Mad'ville. Mad'ville may be living up to its nickname (self-proclaimed) of "Best Town on Earth" as the F4 tornado a few years ago before Thanksgiving didn't result in any deaths either.

I'll post some more in the next few weeks about some recent exploits and travels.

No comments: